Saturday, February 9, 2008

Some Observations

I just wanted to write about a few interesting observations I've made so far...

If you go to the grocery store, you are expected to not only bag your own groceries, you should also bring your bags with you. No matter how much you buy, they assume you will put it in your own bags by yourself. If you don't bring your own bags, they're about 15 cents per bag. However, most people don't buy large amounts at a time. Instead, they buy dinner for the evening on their way home from work. I assume that this is due to the fact that almost no one has freezers, and most refridgerators are tiny by US standards.

People here love to yell. Every evening after about 9:00, there are groups of people standing in the main square yelling at the top of their lungs to no one in particular. I went to a bar tonight and several times people randomly erupted into loud chants. Even on the NATO base, people often great each other with bird like noises. I don't know how else to explain it, but it's very strange.

Cell phones are much better in Europe. My initial provider that gives me great access to Belgian phone calls was 1 Euro / minute to call the US. So, instead of switching providers, I purchased a new SIM card for my phone that lets me call home for .11 / minute. I just switch access cards in my phone when needed to get me the best rate for the place I'm calling. Everything is pay as you go, so you only pay for the minutes you use...very nice.

People dress very different out here. Tonight I saw three guys dressed in white pants, white shoes, and a white coat. If they're not wearing all white, it's all black. If you wear tennis shoes, you stand out like a sore thumb. Also, I would estimate that 60% of the women here wear extremely short skirts, black tights, and knee high leather boots. The other 40% wear bizzare combinations of leather, jeans, and mini skirts in patterns that would never been seen in America outside the red light districts. Everyone is generally more formal than the US, but you also see strange outfits that would never be socially acceptable back home.

Taxi cabs are incredibly expensive. The starting charge for a cab is 6 Euro and it goes up quickly. Also, if you are riding alone in the cab, usually people ride in the front with the driver. I found this very strange and frankly uncomfortable the first few times. Also, if you show any interest in the driver, they will talk your ear off in French (or poorly spoken English) for the entire ride. I usually just nod and smily politely as if I understood what they were trying to say.

As I go to more shops, I've found that many people speak a little English, and all of them are willing to teach you French if you show some interest. In general, the people here are extremely friendly. I go to the little grocery store next to my hotel most evenings, and the clerk there teaches me a new French phrase each night. He's eager to hear about life in America and in exchange for stories, he helps me with my pronunciation.

Anyway, that's just a few of the many cultural differences I've noticed so far. I'm sure I will have more as time goes on...

1 comment:

Rob said...

I like the part about women in tight short skirts and leathers. When can I come visit?