Saturday, February 9, 2008

Turning European

I made a giant step towards fitting in the Europe last night....I did laundry in the bathtub. You haven't lived until you've done your laundry in the bathtub, then hung soaking wet clothes all over your hotel room. I looked all over town for a laundromat, but the closest one is a 15 minute walk. Maybe I'm lazy, but I just don't feel like dragging my dirty clothes all over Mons to wash them.

Also, I finally found a waffle stand!!! In the multicultural tradition of Belgium, the have Flemish waffles and French waffles. If you ever come here, make sure you get the Flemish version. They don't have powdered sugar or other toppings like Americans are used to, but they are just delicious! In case you are not aware, Belgium is officially tri-lingual, and there is a serious cultural battle between the Flemish and French areas of the country. Less than 1% of the country speaks German, but it is an official language anyway.

Tomorrow I'm heading to Brussels with my coworker to help him look for an apartment. I should have some fun pictures to share on Sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finding a waffle. While you're in Brussels you'll have to find some authentic sprouts. If you do, please take a picture :)